From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] basic grub question
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 15:58:21
1 On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 09:41:07 -0400 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 08:42:45 -0400, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > > > But the manual and the html pages constantly talk about the grub
7 > > > > > command or rather the grub interactive command, and they usually
8 > > > > > call it grub, maybe it has a different name.
9 > > > >
10 > > > > That's the GRUB interactive shell, that you get to from the boot menu
11 > > > > (press c) or get dropped into it if there is no grub.cfg file.
12 > > > >
13 > > >
14 > > > hmmm, I thought you could do it from the console as well, for certain
15 > > > commands.
16 > >
17 > > The commands that show up in "qlist grub" can be run from a standard
18 > > shell. The GRUB interactive shell is different, with its own set of
19 > > commands. You really need to read the online manual or the info pages
20 > > again. The man pages explain the individual commands, but only the full
21 > > manual shows how it all fits together.
22 > >
23 > > Why are you looking to switch from Lilo to GRUB now? If Lilo works, stick
24 > > with it. If it is because you have EFI hardware, I'd skip GRUB and go
25 > > straight to Gummiboot or systemd-boot.
26 >
27 > Well, I am trying to use the nvidia driver which conflicts with uvesafb
28 > frame buffer, so it seems. It used to work fine, but not it does not
29 > work anymore and the only solutions I have found was a couple of grub
30 > parameters which gives you a higher resolution and passes it on to
31 > linux. It would not be as good as the uvesafb, but at least it would be
32 > better than 80x25. I use the console a lot and only use gnome
33 > sometimes, but I don't want to have to reboot into a different kernel
34 > just to use gnome.
35
36 You can pass any kernel parameters using lilo as well.
37
38 Also it should be possible to use uvesafb and nvidia driver without
39 kernel switch, at least this is possible with fbcon: as described
40 in [1], it is possible to unbind framebuffer console and use text
41 vga console, then you should be able to unload uvesafb module and
42 load nvidia propietary blob.
43
44 [1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/fbcon.txt
45