From: Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <dystopianray@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] march athlon-xp to athlon64
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 09:15:27
1 On Wednesday, 31 May 2006 16:51, Ralph Slooten wrote:
2 > Hiya list,
3 >
4 > I bought myself a new AMD Athlon64 in December, and initially installed
5 > it as a 64-bit Gentoo. In January this year I decided to reinstall it as
6 > a 32-bit OS due to constant issues with flash plugins, win32 codecs etc.
7
8 netscape-flash works with mozilla-firefox-bin and any other 32-bit browser,
9 it's also possible to make it work with 64-bit konqueror. You might also be
10 interested in looking at net-www/gnash, still alpha quality but will
11 hopefully become a fully fledged flash player with amd64 support.
12
13 mplayer-bin will play all codecs that you normally need win32codecs for. Also
14 if you're like many users and WMV3 videos are all you use win32codecs for,
15 you might be interested to know that a VC-1 (WMV3) codec is a google summer
16 of code project, so will hopefully be in a future version of ffmpeg soon.
19 > Seems I made one muck-up ... I used (for the 32-bit OS):
20 >
21 > CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
22 > CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -msse2 -O2 -pipe -ftracer -fomit-frame-pointer"
23 > CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
24 >
25 > instead of (according to
26 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags#Opteron.2FAthlon64_.28AMD.29):
27 >
28 > CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
29 > CFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -msse2 -O2 -pipe -ftracer -fomit-frame-pointer"
30 > CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
31
32 -march=athlon64 implies -msse2, all amd64 cpus have sse2 support.
33
34 Also -ftracer is not in the safe cflags list, personally I would not use it
35 but if you believe it benefits you then go ahead.
39 > Notice the athlon-xp <=> athlon64...
40 >
41 > Does anyone with an good understanding of these flags know the
42 > consequences/results of
43 > a) Keeping the old flags (athlon-xp)?
44 > b) Changing to the new flags without a total reinstall?
45
46 AFAIK '-march=athlon-xp -msse2' is equivalent to '-march=athlon64'
49 > While I understand that I quite possibly have to reinstall several
50 > packages if I change the flags, which are the ones to pay particular
51 > note to, or is such a change drastic to the OS requiring a total rebuild
52 > of everything?
53 >
54 > Please advise.
55
56 I would not bother with a full system rebuild, everything should be fine.
59 > Greetings,
60 > Ralph
63 Raymond Lewis Rebbeck
64 --