From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Wayland side-effect?
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 18:51:36
1 I tried launching Plasma on Wayland and noticed on Kmail the message preview
2 pane was black. As I move the mouse around or click on it, the black preview
3 window becomes transparent and the desktop wallpaper or other windows behind
4 Kmail appear, but it can flip back to black if I continue moving the mouse.
5 What I cannot see in the preview pane is the actual message content. :-/
6
7 The content is there, as I can click on URLs contained in it, or email
8 addresses - the cursor changes shape. It's just no longer visible in the
9 preview window pane, under any circumstances.
10
11 If I double click the message on the folder list it opens it up in a separate
12 window, which shows the message content as it should. I've tried resetting
13 all Kmail Appearance settings to no avail.
14
15 Restarting the desktop using Xorg does NOT fix this problem. Otherwise, both
16 Plasma on Wayland and Xorg work fine - except the clipboard does not work on
17 Wayland (middle click won't paste selected text on another window).
18
19 The Kmail preview window problem may be a coincidence, perhaps mesa or radeon
20 drivers broke things at the latest update, but I only noticed it when I tried
21 Wayland. I recall a post in this M/L about Kmail with a similar/same problem,
22 but can't find it at present.
23
24 Some questions:
25
26 Have you noticed anything similar, on Kmail or other applications, either
27 running Wayland, or Xorg?
28
29 Is there some fix for this problem?
30
31 At what point will Wayland be considered the recommended way to run Linux
32 desktops, instead of Xorg?
33
34 I'm thinking of holding fire before I try running Wayland on other
35 installations - although I have no evidence Wayland is the cause of the Kmail
36 preview pane breaking like this.