From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev: renaming eth0 to eth1 ???
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 18:04:57
1 meino.cramer@×××.de writes:
2
3 > unfortunately I had to change my motherboard (the replacement is
4 > exactly the same model/type of the previous on).
5 >
6 > I booted the new board and: NO Lan. Eth0 dead it seems.
7 >
8 > It took me several long minutes before I found the following
9 > line in dmesg's log:
10 >
11 > udev: renaming etho to eth1
12 >
13 > There is only the onboard lan chip and no extra ethernet
14 > card is installed in the rig.
15 >
16 > Now I have eth1 and no eth0.
17 > Why does this happen? What is the reason for that?
18
19 The reason is that the system wants to keep the devices as they are. If you
20 add a 2nd network card, you'd probably like to keep eth0 as it is.
21
22 But there's an easy solution for you: Remove /etc/udev/rules.d/70-
23 persistent-net.rules and reboot.
24
25 Wonko