From: Fernando Freire <freire14@××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 18:42:06
1 On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <snip>
3 >> What does low-spec hardware mean?
4 >
5 > Whatever the default setup of the latest release of Ubuntu runs
6 > sluggish on. (Or what a previous version of Ubuntu ran on, but current
7 > versions won't)
8 >
9 > While somewhat flippant, that seems a pretty reasonable way to think about it.
10 <snip>
11
12 This sounds about right, I have a Gateway netbook running a 1.6GHz
13 processor and integrated graphics that runs Gentoo perfectly fine
14 (XFCE mostly). The same netbook was rather sluggish running Ubuntu,
15 and even KDE under Gentoo wasn't terribly impressive. With some
16 reasonable CFLAGS and time to spare you can keep your compile times to
17 within a few hours.
18
19 -FF-