From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 16:22:05
1 On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 5:29 AM, Pandu Poluan<pandu@××××××.info>  wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> Speaking of fsck, didn't someone lamented the fact that fsck can no
7 >>> longer
8 >>> be statically linked, thus making initr* 'blew up' in size?
9 >>>
10 >>> When more and more utilities go the non-statically-linked way...
11 >>> congratulations! You now have an initr* that's practically a cpio-ized
12 >>> version of /
13 >>
14 >> Now, common: that's an exaggeration. My dracut generated initramfs
15 >> (with systemd, plymouth, udev, and I don't remember what many things
16 >> more) is 5 Mb. That's a little less than my several-gigabytes /.
17 >>
18 >> Regards.
19 >
20 > Give it time.  Something will need /home on the root partition next.  Like
21 > someone else posted, we are headed towards windows land with this.  I won't
22 > be surprised if /boot will have to be on / next too.
23 >
24 > Dale
25
26 Not the case IMO. My read of all this stuff is that within a few
27 months we'll be back to allowing /usr to be anywhere without an
28 initramfs or initramfs generated automagically such that you hardly
29 know it's there.
30
31 While I'm no expert on initramfs technology, it's not large. Mine is
32 only a bit larger than 2MB. Likely it doesn't contain whatever is
33 required to deal with systemd/udev but it's not like it's much disk
34 space...
35
36 c2stable ~ # ls -al /boot/my-initramfs.cpio.gz
37 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2296212 Jan 1 2011 /boot/my-initramfs.cpio.gz
38 c2stable ~ #
39
40 - Mark