From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] gobject-introspection-1.62.0 invalid eapi version
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 22:17:37
1 On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 10:22:43PM +0200, Pascal Schorde wrote:
2 > This works. Thanks.
3
4 Cheers, great to hear it works.
5
6 > I actually added the PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET with python3_6 into my make.conf as
7 > described in the news you provided to switch early. I think i misunderstood
8 > the usage of PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET and PYTHON_TARGET.
9
10 See [1] for a full explanation. Summarised, PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET is used for
11 packages built to run on a single implementation of the Python language, whereas
12 PYTHON_TARGETS is used for specifying a number of implementation versions for
13 which a package should be built.
14
15 Your original problem with gobject-introspection appeared due to the fact that
16 you were attempting to build the package for Python 3.6, as shown in your
17 PasteBin submission: `PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_6 -python3_7 (-python3_8)"`,
18 but setuptools was built with `PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_7 (-pypy3)
19 -python3_6 (-python3_8)"`, ergo no support for 3.6 (the pkg_resources module is
20 part of setuptools).
21
22 The "invalid EAPI" message shown by emerge was rather misleading; the
23 Python-provided "traceback" showed the real source of the error.
24
25 Small addendum: I have never written any Python, and hope I never have to, but
26 it seems like there has been some debate amongst the community to separate
27 pkg_resources into its own package (included in the standard library), as
28 setuptools is rather large. See [2] for the original proposal, which was
29 ultimately rejected.
30
31 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Python/PYTHON_TARGETS
32 [2] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0365/