From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] do subslots improve user-experience?
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 20:33:54
1 On 11/02/2013 12:04 PM, hasufell wrote:
2 > Another round of questioning the users here.
3 >
4 > more specifically:
5 > * how often do you experience useless rebuilds?
6 not enough to notice, mostly using server based installs not desktop
7 > * do you really have a problem with running
8 > revdep-rebuild/haskell-updater/perl-cleaner etc after every emerge?
9 only ever used to run revdep rebuild if things were broken, and while
10 now i'm a little more aware of this kind of thing suddenly finding that
11 x program doesn't work due to bad library can be scary; especially if
12 you rely on x program. preserved build was a genius idea if you ask me
13 as this at least allows things to continue working
14 > * do you think it's worth the effort to add more stuff to the PM, so
15 > that you don't have to run revdep-rebuild that often?
16 with preserved rebuild there is at least notification that revdep
17 rebuild is needed; as a noob i didn't realise the significance of the
18 program quite so much, expecting portage to just take care of dependencies.
19 > * do you trust the other methods like subslots or preserved-rebuild to
20 > work reliably? (as in: do you still use revdep-rebuild?)
21 >
22 subslots to me just work like magic and i'm content for the moment to
23 allow them to remain a mystery to me. looking at other responses i'm
24 glad i'm not the only one(!) i get it on the surface but have never
25 played with them so don't fully understand. as i said earlier
26 preserved rebuild is great because a) you get notification of
27 revdeprebuild requirement and b) things don't break after upgrade
28 > If you want my opinion on subslots:
29 > # grep EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS /etc/portage/make.conf
30 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--ignore-built-slot-operator-deps=y"
31 >
32 /me politely requests more info and goes to google to find some too