From: Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [Very OT] - Kill-A-Watt (240V Version) to measure my Gentoo Server Power Usage
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 21:55:11
1 Mike Williams wrote:
2 > On Thursday 03 August 2006 19:27, James wrote:
3 >
4 >> The simplist solution is NOBODY puts a 240 VAC power supply
5 >> into a computer unless it's going to draw some serious current
6 >> (amps) thus by the nature of it being 240 VAC, you already know
7 >> it is a power hog.
10 > Now, I'm not electrical engineer, but I know my way around a fuse board and
11 > electricity having fitted out both our new offices for power, network, and
12 > some walls.
13 >
14 > In the UK, and most (if not all) of Europe, Africa, and Asia too, run on about
15 > 240 volts, 230 +-10% I think now.
16 > Pretty much the whole world, except the Americas.
20 Well, the USA has the same coming in too. We have 220v to 240v coming
21 in but that is split into different legs for the 110v to 120v stuff.
22
23 If you are using transformers to reduce it from 220v to 110v, that will
24 waste some energy right there. Transformers are not real efficient. If
25 you touch it and it is warm, that is what you are wasting. That will
26 also make whatever you are cooling with work harder too.
27
28 Dale
29
31 --