From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Systemd upower
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 12:59:23
1 On Thursday 05 Jun 2014 12:26:09 Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > On 05/06/14 13:47, Tom Wijsman wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 5 Jun 2014 06:23:38 +0100
4 > >
5 > > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > >> Are you saying that as things stand it is a matter of time before a
7 > >> gentoo user will have to switch from openrc to systemd, if they
8 > >> want/need to continue using sleep and hibernate?
9 > >
10 > > For them to have support for sleep and hibernate, someone needs to
11 > > develop / maintain it in order to adapt to kernel API changes; as long
12 > > as the only one doing this is systemd, you'll work towards only it
13 > > being supported there in the future.
14 >
15 > Correct, and to name an example, pm-utils is still using the old
16 > wireless stack and
17 > 'wireless-utils' instead of 'iw'
18 > As in, pm-utils is using kernel options that are marked as DEPRECATED in
19 > the menuconfig, and DEPRECATED means they are going away at some point So
20 > it won't be long the package is broken for every machine that has wireless
21 > card
22 > I'm sure there are multiple other examples available, but this one pops
23 > up to
24 > mind immediately
25
26 Fair enough, I've keyworded sys-power/upower-0.99.0 for now on one machine and
27 it seems to work fine, without imposing systemd at the moment. :-)
30 Regards,
31 Mick