From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unlocking Plasma desktop in Gentoo without systemd
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 19:00:51
1 On Monday, 11 September 2017 19:18:30 BST Stroller wrote:
2 > > On 11 Sep 2017, at 18:49, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > …
5 > > "The screen locker is broken and unlocking is not possible anymore.
6 > > In order to unlock switch to a virtual terminal (e.g. Ctrl+Alt+F2),
7 > > log in and execute the command:
8 > >
9 > > loginctl unlock-sessions
10 > >
11 > > ...
12 > >
13 > > If this is a default Gentoo installation with openrc, why does a default
14 > > plasma desktop screenlocker comes up with this nonsense?
15 >
16 > Is it possible some of your KDE components were emerged with USE="systemd"?
17 >
18 > Try something like `emerge -pN world`?
19 >
20 > Stroller.
21
22 Thanks Stroller, but no, this PC never had any systemd component, on purpose:
23
24 # emerge -pN world
25
26 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
27
28 Calculating dependencies... done!
31 I had disabled USE flag 'systemd' in make.conf as soon as this flag was
32 established:
33
34 $ euse -I systemd
35 global use flags (searching: systemd)
36 ************************************************************
37
38 local use flags (searching: systemd)
39 ************************************************************
40 [- c ] systemd (dev-qt/qtcore):
41 Enable native journald logging support
42
43 [- c ] systemd (media-sound/pulseaudio):
44 Build with sys-apps/systemd support to replace standalone ConsoleKit.
45
46 [- c ] systemd (sys-apps/accountsservice):
47 Use sys-apps/systemd instead of sys-auth/consolekit for session tracking
48
49 [- c ] systemd (sys-apps/busybox):
50 Support systemd
51
52 [- c ] systemd (sys-apps/dbus):
53 Build with sys-apps/systemd at_console support
54
55 [- c ] systemd (sys-auth/pambase):
56 Use pam_systemd module to register user sessions in the systemd control group
57 hierarchy.
58
59 [- c ] systemd (sys-auth/polkit):
60 Use sys-apps/systemd instead of sys-auth/consolekit for session tracking
61
62 [- c ] systemd (sys-fs/udisks):
63 Support sys-apps/systemd's logind
64
65 The interesting thing is I never enabled screen locking, so plasma ought to be
66 running with default settings. If such a setting causes the session to become
67 inaccessible it should have been disabled by default. There may have been a
68 warning about it in the past, but I can't recall it.
69
70 The funny thing was the user thought her machine was being hacked! o_O
71
72 I tried to pacify her by explaining that without systemd stack the attack
73 surface should be smaller. ;-p
74 --
75 Regards,
76 Mick