From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Locking down a wireless network
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:25:59
1 >>>> My Gentoo router's wireless network is encrypted via WPA and doesn't
2 >>>> DHCP. I'd like to take this a step further in case my WPA key gets
3 >>>> hacked. Can I issue only certain IPs to certain MAC addresses?
4 >>>>
5 >>>> Does WPA2 require hardware support?
6 >>>
7 >>> I don't think so. It should just be a driver/firmware update if you've
8 >>> got some device that supports WPA and not WPA2. The AES encryption of
9 >>> WPA2 requires a little more hardware power than WEP or WPA normally
10 >>> uses, but I don't think it needs any special chip or anything like
11 >>> that.
12 >>>
13 >>> You can also do VPN over your wifi connection, and require it for
14 >>> access to the rest of your network or the internet. At least then if
15 >>> someone hacks your wireless key, they still can't do anything without
16 >>> having your VPN certificate.
17 >>
18 >> Actually, VPN would rule out my wifi cell phone I bet.
19 >
20 > Maybe not -- I don't know what kind of phone you've got. I have a
21 > Nokia N95 which runs Symbian OS 9 and there are 3 VPN clients that I
22 > know of (and the first one is free):
23 >
24 > http://www.businesssoftware.nokia.com/mobile_vpn_downloads.php
25 > http://www.ncp-e.com/en/vpn-szenarien-produkte/vpn-produkte/secure-entry-client.html
26 > http://www.symvpn.com/Products/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductId=17
27 >
28 > I believe Windows Mobile devices have VPN support built in, but I've
29 > never tried it. For iPhone or other phone OS i have no idea as I've
30 > never actually used them.
31 >
32 > Paul
33
34 It looks like those 3 do work on an N82, but at least the 3rd one can
35 only connect to Windows VPN servers currently. VPN configuration on
36 any of them sounds like it can be a major hassle though.
37
38 Is there a way to get reliable info on how many systems are connected
39 to my wireless network? I'm running a Gentoo router.
40
41 - Grant