From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub on a new disk
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 11:18:44
1 On Saturday 05 July 2008, Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 17:48:38 +0200
3 >
4 > Florian Philipp <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:
5 > > Hi!
6 > >
7 > > I've recently moved /boot from /dev/hda to /dev/hdd. Then I've
8 > > installed grub with
9 > > for i in /dev/hd{a,b,d}; do grub-install --recheck $i; done
10 > >
11 > > Now the system boots correctly but it takes ages (>10sec) to come from
12 > > "Grub loading Stage1.5"
14 > > "Grub loading, please wait..."
15 > > and then another 10sec or more to open the menu.
16 > >
17 > > I think I had this problem a long time ago but I can't remember the
18 > > solution. Can anyone help?
19 > >
20 > > Thanks in advance!
21 > >
22 > > Florian Philipp
23 >
24 > By the way: I noticed that the HDD-LED is constantly on while Grub is
27 As far as I can understand the problem arises because you have installed grub
28 everywhere. When your BIOS kicks in it goes to the first disk's MBR, reads
29 the GRUB boot code, which starts probing each and every device where a GRUB
30 file system exists. Perhaps it also checks each MBR? Eventually it arrives
31 at /dev/hdd and GRUB loads up its boot menu. You can tweak
32 the /boot/grub/device.map file to change the order of the devices and bring
33 up /dev/hdd sooner.
34
35 Alternatively and probably easier would be to change the boot order of your
36 drives in your BIOS menu. Since you have installed GRUB in each drive's MBR
37 you should be able to boot straight off your hdd drive.
38
39 HTH.
40 --
41 Regards,