From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Do I really need kernel support for ppp?
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 13:29:48
1 On Wed, Aug 13 2014, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > On 13/08/2014 14:42, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
4 >> (I use gnome, hence systemd. I have no modem, except the cable modem.)
5 >>
6 >> network-manager requires ppp and the latest version of ppp (just
7 >> installed by today's update world) wants me to add ppp support to my
8 >> kernel.
9 >>
10 >> I can certainly do so; is that considered advisable? If so must I do it
11 >> right away?
14 > Network Manager by design has 4 tabs for connections, ppp is one of
15 > them. Makes sense for a portable workstation - you don't know in advance
16 > what you might use to connect to a network.
17 >
18 > If the ppp ebuild wants ppp in-kernel support (entirely logical), then
19 > do so. Nothing says you *have* to load the module. If it were dangerous,
20 > then every Linux pc supporting ppp would be vulnerable, not so? SO
21 > worrying about it seems very pointless.
22 >
23 > Having said that:
24 >
25 > USE="-ppp"
26
27 I see. Thanks.
28
29 This shamed me into reading the networkmanager ebuild and then (once
30 again) reading man 5 ebuild to understand REQUIRED_USE.
31
32 I now see that I could try USE="-ppp -modemmanager". However, my goal
33 is simplicity, not just minimality, so I will follow your (and the
34 ebuild's) advice and add the kernel support.
35
36 thanks you and joost again,
37 allan