From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : a few small queries
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 00:51:45
1 120915 Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday 15 Sep 2012 01:27:04 Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> (1) In Fluxbox, Gkrellm insists on starting on Desktop 1 ;
4 >> on my existing machine with the same config files, it starts on Desktop 8 .
5 >> There must be some setting somewhere which has got changed.
6 > Perhaps something like:
7 >
8 > [app] (name=gkrellm)
9 > [Workspace] {0}
10 > [end]
11 >
12 > instead of:
13 >
14 > [Workspace] {7}
15 >
16 > in your ~/.fluxbox/apps file ?
17 > Or may be you have a [Jump] {yes} command in there too ?
18 > Not sure if something similar in ~/.fluxbox/startup could cause this,
19 > so have a look in there just in case.
20
21 Yes, I looked in those places, but there doesn't seem anything odd:
22
23 [app] (name=gkrellm) (class=Gkrellm)
24 [Workspace] {7}
25 [Position] (UPPERLEFT) {0 0}
26 [Close] {yes}
27 [end]
28
29 However, I have a custom 'apps-pp' file too,
30 which mb getting defined in the new machine's 'init' file.
31 I've made a note to check tomorrow.
32
33 >> (2) Luxi Mono is not coming out cleanly in Gvim or (Xfce) Terminal :
34 >> IIRC there's a pkg or a setting somewhere to fix it,
35 >> but I can't find it in my extensive notes from the past.
36
37 I've found the note buried in my notes from the 2007 installation :
38 it needs a file /dev/fonts/local.conf with various settings, esp
39
40 <match target="font">
41 <test name="family">
42 <string>Luxi Mono</string>
43 </test>
44 <test name="pixelsize" compare="less">
45 <double>24</double>
46 </test>
47 <edit name="hinting">
48 <bool>false</bool>
49 </edit>
50 </match>
51
52 HTH anyone else who gets ugly fonts in a new box.
53
54 >> (3) I have 4 heat sensors in Gkrellm : 'k10temp' + 3 * 'it87'.
55 >> Can anyone suggest which bit of which device each is measuring ?
56 > I am guessing the k10temp is the core temperature of the CPU
57 > and the it87 the chip temperature sensors (3-off) from ACPI?
58
59 Well, I can guess equally well (smile). When compiling Firefox & LibreOffice,
60 the 'it87-3' reached 68 C once, while the other 3 were lower ;
61 all 4 CPUs were working at 99 % at the time.
62 IIRC the displayed temperatures are not very accurate: when not active,
63 3 of the values were well below room temperature, which sb impossible.
64
65 I have the impression that the rate of CPU work is being controlled
66 in order to keep the temperature safely below the cut-off point
67 which I've set in BIOS, ie 70 C ; also, the variable fan is very impressive.
68 If so, it must be due to the combination of AMD + Gigabyte (mobo).
69
70 Thanks for the advice. (1) must be fairly easy, when I find out why.
71 Any further info re (3) wb very welcome.
75 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
76 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
77 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca