From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 22:29:01
1 Mike Edenfield wrote:
2 > On 6/23/2011 1:04 AM, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Mike Edenfield wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On 6/22/2011 2:35 PM, Dale wrote:
7 >>>
8 >
9 >>>> You have decided to build cantor with no backend.
10 >>>> To have this application functional, please do one of below:
11 >>>> # emerge -va1 '='kde-base/cantor-4.6.4 with 'R' USE flag enabled
12 >>>> # emerge -vaDu sci-mathematics/maxima
13 >>>>
14 >
15 >>> The odds of you ever needing to use cantor are practically nil. And if
16 >>> you did, you'd probably already have R installed and know what FORTRAN
17 >>> was. So, don't worry about it.
18 >>>
19 >
20 >> I never noticed it being there. So, naw I don't need it. Good ole
21 >> kde-meta pulled it in tho.
22 >>
23 > My point was, you can install cantor without R (or maxima) and it will
24 > complain loudly that "I'm installing myself broken!"... but it *will*
25 > install. And if you never run it, you never need R, thus you never need
26 > +fortran, and your gcc will be much happier.
27 >
28 > --Mike
33 I was hoping to trim a little fat not break things. I may never need
34 cantor but if I do, I would like it to work without me having to figure
35 out why it is broke. Plus, next time a upgrade comes along, I got
36 issues again. It's going to pull in a update that fails to compile and
37 its going to upset me greatly, much more so than having fortran or
38 whatever installed.
39
40 Maybe you wasn't around during the GREAT hal and xorg mess I ran into.
41 Trust me, it wasn't steam, it was flames. I would like to avoid that.
42 I wanted to wring that nerds neck for rendering my keyboard and rat
43 useless. :-@
44
45 Dale
46