From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Creating an firmware image from a too large microSDcard...?
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 10:59:04
1 Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> [16-01-16 11:04]:
2 > On 16/01/16 17:27, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 16 Jan 2016 04:50:49 +0100, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> to post a firmware image of my embedded linux computer
6 > >> to a friend I want to size it down.
7 > >>
8 > >> System wise I did that already (only the really necessary
9 > >> stuff of Gentoo plus some configuration and addons related
10 > >> to the embedded system)...the problem comes with the size of
11 > >> the microSDcard I use: 32 GB....
12 > >>
13 > >> The microSDcard (source) has two partitions (boot + the rest).
14 > >> The boot partition is the first partition and it is of a fixed
15 > >> and tiny size. The second partition contains the "rest": Gentoo.
16 > >> Currently the used space of this partition is also small.
17 > >>
18 > >> The image needs to be of a format, which makes
19 > >> it possble to 'dd' it onto a microSDcard (target) and afterwards use
20 > >> g/parted to resize/expand the second partition to the end
21 > >> of the microSDcard to get all storage space available.
22 > >
23 > > Quick and kludgy. Partition an SD card of the correct size, rsync your
24 > > data to it, then dd that card.
25 > >
26 > > Any other method you use will require you to have a smaller SD card to
27 > > test the resultant image, so you may as well use that as the source and
28 > > know it works.
32 > It is possible to create a dd image of the whole SD card and mount it in
33 > a loopback to repartition etc.
34 >
35 > Mount it then shrink your existing file system (and probably the
36 > partition too) to less than the required size, then recreate the dd
37 > image to a size still less than the new sd card.
38 >
39 > On the new card, dd it across until it errors off, then fix/expand the
40 > partition and then the file system. You dont care if the end is missing
41 > as long as your data is within the size needed.
42 >
43 > BillK
47 Hi Neil, hi Bill,
48