From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Looong delays
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 11:32:51
1 On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 13:22:38 +0200, Dirk Uys <dirkcuys@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi
3 >
4 > This has been bothering me for some time now. I have a Dell PC at work,
5 > Intel Core2 Duo with 4gb ram etc. Whenever something does a lot of disk
6 > access, the PC slows down to a halt? I remember some issue between
7 Firefox
8 > and the kernel causing long pauses, but I've had several different
9 kernel
10 > versions running.
11 >
12 > I also use the ntfs-3g driver for write access to a doze partition, but
13 > although the degradation in performance more severe with the ntfs-3g
14 > driver,
15 > access to the native (ext3) partition also drags the system down for a
16 > while.
17 >
18 > I checked obvious things like whether or not I enable SMP in the kernel.
19 I
20 > tried changing the kernel pre-emption from low latency desktop to
21 desktop,
22 > but the problem persist. The application that is mostly involved when I
23 get
24 > these long delays is FireFox, VMWare and emerge (emerge --sync).
25 > Everything
26 > is compiled 64bit but I have the 32bit emulation libs.
27 >
28 > Can anyone point me into some direction?
29 >
30 > Regards
31 > Dirk
32
33 I know I am hitting at the obvious, but I can't be sure you already
34 checked that.
35
36 Since the applications you are using can be quite intensive in memory
37 usage, did you check whether you are hitting swap or not?
40 Jesús Guerrero