From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] (Re-) Configuring X11 with two graphic cards (NVidia)
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 12:01:47
1 Meino.Cramer@×××.de writes:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > previously there were two graphic cards installed in my Gentoo box:
6 >
7 > Geforce GT 430
8 > Geforce GT 560TI
9 >
10 > The first was used for desktop purposes only and the second was used
11 > only by Blender as "render engine".
12 >
13 > Then the Geforce GT 560TI went crazy and died and had to change it
14 > with another one, a Geforce GTX 960.
15 >
16 > I grepped through /etc and checked for "560" and similiar to find
17 > things which need to be changed.
18 >
19 > Reboot.
20 >
21 > Rendering runs now faster, which means that Blender has found its
22 > new "render engine". But...
23 >
24 > The GUI of Blender starts lagging...
25 >
26 > The desktop "feels" the same...but I cannot tell, whether it is
27 > supported by the first or second graphics card, since the 960 may
28 > be capable to handle both...dont know for shure.
29 >
30 > Nvidia settings recognizes both cards...from the thermal readings
31 > I would guess, that the GTX 960 is definetly used for rendering
32 > purposes...but I think using the desktop will not heat up either
33 > card...;)
34 >
35 > Is there any way to check, whether the current setup is working as
36 > wanted (GTX 480 for desktop only, GTX 960 for rendering only) and
37 > whether to "full power of the GTX 960" is available for rendering?
38 >
39 > I cannot get rid of the feeling, that I am driving with brakes on....
40
41 Doesn't nvidia-settings show to which display the cards sync?
42
43 Did you specify which card is to be used by the X server?
44
45 Does it hurt to remove the GT 430? There is worlds of difference
46 between a GT 430 and a GTX 960. When you compare these two cards, you
47 may find that running the 430 isn't worth the electricity it costs,
48 unless you get it for free or almost free. You may also get the
49 impression that your whole desktop, or at least your web browser, is
50 slow when you go from the 960 back to the 430 :)
51
52 I think I'd just remove the 430 and see how it goes. If you're then
53 happy with the performance, there's no need to put the 430 back.