From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Way OT - Can user apache become other users?
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:26:03
1 On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 08:27 -0500, Michael Sullivan wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 22:29 -0500, Michael Sullivan wrote:
3 > > If the shell assigned to user 'apache' is "/bin/false", can user apache
4 > > become other users via su or sudo? What I want to do is create a
5 > > web-based website editor, similar to the one geocities.com offers. I
6 > > need a way to store the website editor in a central location where it
7 > > will be available to all users, but the users need to be able to save
8 > > the files they create/edit in their own web space (in this case under
9 > > ~/webspace/html). I want the users to be able to log in with their
10 > > Linux usernames and passwords. I"ve written to a couple of PHP lists
11 > > about this, but none of them have answered me. Is there anything in
12 > > portage that will do this, so I don't have to write it myself? I've
13 > > waded through a lot of descriptions of scripts other people have
14 > > written, but none of them seemed to allow authenticating against the
15 > > users and passwords already established on the system...
16 >
17 > Someone on one of my PHP lists wrote back and told me that I needed to
18 > make php with phpsuexec, but I don't see that as one of the USE flags.
19 > Is it called something else in Gentoo?
20
21 I take it from the fact that no one has responded to this question that
22 suexec is not possible in PHP on Gentoo. Is there some other language I
23 can do this project in, such as perl or ruby, or anything freely
24 available on Gentoo for that matter that would allow my users to use a
25 web-based website editor and save the files to their own webspace?
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list