From: godzil <godzil@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Regular v Ordinary
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 09:26:55
1 Le 2014-04-30 09:47, Peter Humphrey a écrit :
2 > On Tuesday 29 Apr 2014 16:05:04 walt wrote:
3 >> On 04/29/2014 05:49 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > I don't suppose it's misuse, just different use, which is fine when
5 > separated by
6 > a few thousand miles :-) . It just annoys me when I'm offered a regular
7 > coffee,
8 > when I would have said standard, or medium (size). It's happened
9 > particularly
10 > since our high streets were flooded with Starbucks and the like. To me,
11 > "regular" is closely associated to "regularity", as one might think of
12 > in
13 > personal habits (sorry!). Or, "regular as clockwork" is a common phrase
14 > and
15 > gets my meaning across.
16
17 I suspect that your habits for "regular" or "ordinary" came from French,
18 where the first translation of regular is "régulier", "habituel" which
19 mean that it is something is a habits.
20
21 And "ordinary" will be translate to "ordinaire" that have the means of
22 "common", "standard".
23
24 I know that some difference from UK and US English come from the nearby
25 European country (monstly France) (i.e: colour vs color, behaviour vs
26 behavior, etc.)