From: Willie WY Wong <wongwwy@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] texlive 2011
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 09:30:23
1 On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 11:35:10AM -0800, Penguin Lover Alan E. Davis squawked:
2 > After realizing that most packages I was installing, I used
3 > package.keywords and ~amd64, so I went ahead and jumped---I have started
4 > using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS for ~amd64 in /etc/make.conf . I think most of the
5 > inconsistencies have been ironed out, but it has taken some days. One
6 > glaring problem involves ruby. I need texlive, and I want to install
7 > texlive 2011, and I had installed it; however, now ruby is standing in my
8 > way.
9
10 Sorry, I am a bit confused about your description of what happened.
11 Can you give us a concise timeline? (Like: Day 1 installed X. Day 3,
12 changed keywords to ~amd64. Day 4, tried to install texlive. Got error
13 message Blah.)
14
15 > On bugs.gentoo.org, I see some solutions, involving patches. One is a
16 > patch for ruby (dev-lang/ruby-1.8.7_p352 ). The other is a patch for
17 > glibc 2.14.1 .
18
19 Which bug number?
20
21 > Now, unfortunately, after an emerge -avuD world, I have also run emerge
22 > --depclean, which cleared out every package involved with texlive. I think
23 > texlive-pictures-2011 and texlive-science-2001, possible also others, are
24 > depending on ruby.
25
26 That, uh, should not happen. How *did* you install texlive? If you
27 just emerged it, it should be in the WORLD set, and should not be
28 removed by depclean. Also, I thought the new depclean nowadays would
29 refuse to run if there are unresolved conflicts?
30
31 > I could also not find an accessible and up to date explanation of
32 > installing texlive.
33
34 Set the correct USE flags (use 'equery uses texlive' or 'emerge
35 --pretend --verbose texlive' to see the complete list. Select the ones
36 you want/need). For example, on my box I have set in
37 '/etc/portage/package.use' the following
38
39 app-text/texlive dvi2tty extra games graphics humanities jadetex music omega pdfannotextractor pstricks publishers science tex4ht xetex -xindy
40
41 And then just 'emerge texlive' should do the trick.
42
43 > Can any one guide me towards understanding how to proceed? I would rather
44 > not spend the next week re-installing my system. Perhaps I should back
45 > out of ~amd64 to amd64?
46
47 Backing out of ~ is sometimes a non-trivial task, especially if it
48 involves downgrading system packages like glibc. When I had to do it
49 in the past, I had the luxury of time and so I
50 1) keyworded ALL currently installed version to x86 (or in your case
51 amd64)
52 2) changed the make.conf setting to x86 (amd64 in your case).
53 This way portage won't force you to downgrade anything that is
54 installed and working, and after a month or two the stable keyword
55 should catch up or surpass the testing keyword and you'll have a
56 stable system again.
57
58 W
61 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
62 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton