From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Winter clock change did not happen
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 16:01:27
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Sunday 31 October 2010 13:29:20 Nuno J. Silva wrote:
4 >> Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
5 >> > On Sunday 31 October 2010 10:05:15 Peter Humphrey wrote:
6 >> >> On Sunday 31 October 2010 09:34:25 Alan McKinnon wrote:
7 >> >> > All my calendars (electronic and dead-tree) tell me that daylight
8 >> >> > savings switches at the END of today not at the beginning
9 >> >>
10 >> >> That's not true in the UK: the switch is done at 02:00 on the Sunday. My
11 >> >> Gentoo and Ubuntu boxes have switched to GMT correctly this morning, and
12 >> >> so has the radio-synchronised clock on the kitchen wall.
13 >> >>
14 >> >> I think Mick does have a problem in his Gentoo setup.
15 >> >>
16 >> > :-(
17 >> >
18 >> > Thanks Peter, do you dual boot with MSWindows?
19 >> >
20 >> > I've noticed this problem on two different boxen, both of them dual boot
21 >> > with MSWindows. A Gentoo only box of mine switched over to winter time
22 >> > correctly - so it must be my dual boot set up that is causing this
23 >> > problem.
24 >>
25 >> It is a problem caused by the settings needed for Linux to live with
26 >> Windows on the same computer.
27 >
28 > Is there a fix? I thought that the setting of CLOCK="local" in
29 > /etc/conf.d/clock was to address the problem of having to dual boot with
30 > MSWindows.
31
32 That is the setting I was talking about (I wonder why I said
33 "setting*s*" before, sorry for that).
34
35 It is used to address the problem that Windows expects the hardware
36 clock to have the local time value (hence "local"), that is, what you
37 see when you ask the computer what time is it. Because the usual setting
38 is UTC, that is, time with no timezone and/or DST "shift" - GNU/linux
39 does the math and shows you your local time. Local time clock forces you
40 (or the OS) to change it every time there is some DST change.
41
42 In other words, that makes linux use the hardware clock the same way
43 windows uses it.
46 Nuno J. Silva
47 gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg