From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xterms --featureRICH --suggestions?
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 16:38:15
1 On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 14:35:55 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > > > Note, I've use a myriad of qt
4 > > > based open source and commercial products on embedded systems.
5 > > > Those efforts do not mirror the "attide" of the KDE camp, you
6 > > > espouse so well.
7 > > I've no idea what you are trying to say here.
8 >
9 > Sure you do,
10
11 Really, it didn't parse sensibly for me.
12
13 > but I'll be simple here. KDE is built on QT. I have
14 > experince with QT and dozens of embedded products that use QT. None of
15 > those products resemble any sort of attitude, like KDE does. The
16 > bloated, poorly documented latest features, lets force it on the entire
17 > userbase by default, mentality does not exist in any of the QT based
18 > products I've been involed in. KDE's problems are the result of poor
19 > decisions made unilaterally by the KDE leadership, imho.
20
21 That makes sense. I still maintain that KDE does not force configuration
22 changes on existing systems, ~/.kde4 trumps anything installed into /usr.
23
24 However, I do agree with you about KDE's leadership and user relations.
25 In many ways they are their own worst enemies. What's the point in
26 writing good software then leaving it with a crap set of defaults so
27 people have to tweak it to make it decent. It's like they want to leave
28 all that mundane stuff to the distros, which doesn't work with Gentoo's
29 policy of sticking close to upstream defaults.
30
31 > > Like I said, but you seemed to ignore, run Konsole on LXDE to get all
32 > > you need. I've found Konsole to be one of the best terminals out
33 > > there, irrespective of whether you use KDE or not, although
34 > > Terminology does look interesting.
35 >
36 > The simple fact is I do not need a desktop enviroment that competes
37 > with the applications I choose and set up to be flashy and featurerich.
38 > That function is best left to the applications themselves, imho.
39
40 Fair enough, that's your choice. Personally, I think that a desktop
41 environment, not necessarily KDE, that provide good interoperation
42 between applications is important. I rarely single task, which is why I
43 love terminal tabs and screen :)
44
45 > Also, I disagree; Konsole is wonderful, but I do not want anything with
46 > "K" in it.
47
48 I take it you compile your own ernel then :)
52 Neil Bothwick
53
54 I thought the 10 commandments were multiple choice.