From: "Radosław Grzanka" <radekg@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem installing GRUB
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:53:56
1 Marco Schuler napisał(a):
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > after using other distributions for years I finally decided to go with
5 > gentto to have to most flexibility. So here I am :-)
6 >
7 > I got trough the gentoo installation up to the point of installing
8 > grub. After the command 'grub-install /dev/hda' my machine hangs
9 > displaying the following meassage:
10 > Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time
11 >
12 > I already searched the net to find a solution. The only thing I could
13 > find was on http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/grub-error-guide.xml
14 >
15 > The comment on my problem:
16 > One reported cause was an exotic configuration of disk devices, like
17 > ultra/non-ultra DMA disks on one cable.
18 >
19 > I am installing on my notebook (only one HD) so the hint above did not
20 > help me very much...
21 >
22 > Any hint or tips? Thanks a lot in advance!
23
24 Hi,
25 Do you have floppy drive? I am not sure what was actuall message of
26 grub while trying to probe non-existent floppy drive but try running it
27 with --no-floppy switch. I've seen broken grub-install scripts that did
28 not respect this though. If so, then your only option is to try to
29 install grub manually by using 'grub' command (search the web for details).
30
31 Cheers,
32 Radek.
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list