From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SLES or gentoo ... ?
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 16:35:38
1 On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 11:19 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at>wrote:
2
3 > Am 26.08.2013 18:14, schrieb Pandu Poluan:
4 >
5 > > Well... with a ZFS-backed storage, when you want to create a new VM, all
6 > > you have to do is `zfs clone` ;-)
7 >
8 > Yes, I see those possibilities ;-)
9 >
10 > That system will run rather important stuff ... so I have to be rather
11 > careful. But the bit-rot-prevention/checksumming-features are a plus in
12 > this perspective.
13 >
14 > Do you run such a system? How big?
17 I have to admit that my virtualized servers are not running on top of
18 ZFS-backed storage... because the company already has a quite sizable EMC
19 VNX storage, and it's a shame to not use that behemoth... ;-)
20
21 At the moment, the ZFS-backed storage is used to store our email archive
22 system (using MailArchiva), and with more than 15'000 emails per day, it
23 has been performing flawlessly.
24
25 That said, when I was hunting around for information on ZFS before taking
26 the plunge, a *lot* of discussion revolves around using ZFS as the storage
27 back-end for virtualization, be it using KVM or VMware.
30 Rgds,
31 --
32 FdS Pandu E Poluan
33 * ~ IT Optimizer ~**