From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Genlop oddity
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 16:14:34
1 On Sunday 31 Jul 2016 10:48:33 Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
2 > On 07/31/2016 06:47 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > I've just encountered something I can't explain. Can anyone here?
4 > >
5 > > ~ $ genlop -c -f /mnt/rescue/var/log/emerge.log
6 > > using logfile /mnt/rescue/var/log/emerge.log
7 > > Currently merging 281 out of 287
8 > > * net-libs/gnutls-3.3.24
9 > > current merge time: 1 minute and 44 seconds.
10 > > ETA: less than a minute.
11 > > Currently merging 264 out of 287
12 > >
13 > > * sys-devel/gcc-4.9.3
14 > > current merge time: 7 minutes and 12 seconds.
15 > > ETA: 3 minutes and 13 seconds.
16 > >
17 > > $ genlop -c -f /mnt/rescue/var/log/emerge.log
18 > > using logfile /mnt/rescue/var/log/emerge.log
19 > > Currently merging 264 out of 287
20 > > * sys-devel/gcc-4.9.3
21 > > current merge time: 15 minutes and 19 seconds.
22 > > ETA: 3 minutes and 41 seconds.
23 > >
24 > > How is it possible for genlop's reported ETA to increase while its time
25 > > spent so far also increases?
26
27 ...or to change at all, for that matter.
28
29 > It is an estimate (a prediction) so it's subject to change.
30
31 Yes, but the estimate is derived from an average of the durations found in
32 the log file, so it can't change until the emerge is complete.
33
34 > > Could the concurrent gnutls merging have affected it? Surely not.
35 >
36 > Probably, I don't know if genlop takes that into account. But there's
37 > countless factors that affect build time that it's practically impossible
38 > to predict accurately. So it means nothing.
39
40 I think that's too pessimistic. If all your emerges have -j1, the accuracy
41 is pretty good, or it used to be in the days when I did that. The major
42 factor affecting the durations nowadays is -j > 1, so any other packages
43 could be emerging at the same time, thus skewing the log record.
44
45 Another, even bigger log skewer is my practice, if I need an emerge -e, of
46 doing it in two stages: -eB first, then reboot to a minimal system and -eK.
47 That avoids things like kdelibs being different when I come to reboot the
48 system next time and hanging up during shutdown.
49
50 > Does that estimate even look reasonable to you?
51 > gnutls compiles in a few minutes but gcc takes significantly longer for
52 > me.
53
54 No, as I said, genlop's own estimates are poor nowadays, but I can make a
55 rough estimate myself from comparing "genlop -c" with "genlop -t <package> |
56 grep minutes".
59 Rgds
60 Peter