From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Seamonkey and LastPass
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 04:01:01
1 On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 20:44 -0600, Dale wrote:
2 ...
3 > Another situation I was thinking about. Let's say it is as secure as
4 > they CLAIM it to be. If someone stole my puter, I could go to lostpass
5 > and change the master password or just close the account. Then even my
6 > computer would be useless to them. From my understanding you have to
7 > type in the master password from time to time. If it is changed through
8 > the website, I'm sure it would require it to be re-entered.
9 >
10 ...
11
12 Give most competent techs your machine and the data is theirs - unless
13 you have taken some extreme precautions. Standard IBM hardware is not
14 designed to be secure, and with the exception of some laptops (which in
15 most cases, things like encryption via the IDE interface available on
16 some Dell's and others, isnt even turned on!), most of those are not
17 either.
18
19 Lostpass looks ideal for those who lose/forget/do not really understand
20 what passwords are about - its better than the alternatives such people
21 come up with (a common, easily guessed password, or none if they can get
22 away with it). Got something valuable/want to keep private, dont use
23 them, or some of the google apps and others.
24
25 In fact, I know of some who have a separate, locked down a/c on their
26 machines just for banking - no browsing (and no extraneous browser
27 plugins) to other sites etc. - safer! (and relatively simple to do and
28 manage under nix)
29
30 BillK
34 William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>