From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RTC, is it needed?
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 04:07:52
1 On 9/25/06, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > Not sure if I need RTC built in my kernel. This is the error I get when I
5 > boot up:
6
7 The PC rtc is used by some applications (fex: vmware) to provide a
8 timer interval greater than the system timer interval. If your system
9 has an rtc, it is generally a good idea to enable it...
10
11 > =======================================================
12 > # dmesg | grep -i RTC
13 > Using IPI Shortcut mode
14 > drivers/rtc/hctosys.c: unable to open rtc device (rtc0)
15
16 Hmm, looks like you enabled RTC class and the "Set system time from
17 RTC on startup" options. This you almost certainly do not need, as it
18 is really for external real-time clocks that plug in....so unless you
19 are running a stratum 1 timeserver, you don't need this.
20
21 > CONFIG_HPET_EMULATE_RTC=y
22 > CONFIG_RTC=y
23 > CONFIG_SND_RTCTIMER=m