From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "hostname -d" returns no domainname
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 08:36:37
1 On Friday 26 May 2006 10:09, Alexander Skwar wrote:
2
3 > Hello!
4 >
5 > alexander@blatt ~ $ hostname -d
6 > alexander@blatt ~ $ cat /etc/conf.d/domainname
7 > # /etc/conf.d/domainname
8 >
9 > # When setting up resolv.conf, what should take precedence?
10 > # If you wish to always override DHCP/whatever, set this to 1.
11 > OVERRIDE=1
12 >
13 > # To have a proper FQDN, you need to setup /etc/hosts and
14 > /etc/resolv.conf # properly (domain entry in /etc/resolv.conf, and
15 > FQDN in /etc/hosts). #
16 > DNSDOMAIN="bei.digitalprojects.com"
17 >
18 > # This only set what /bin/hostname returns. If you need to setup NIS,
19 > meaning # what /bin/domainname returns, please see:
20 > #
21 > # http://www.linux-nis.org/nis-howto/HOWTO/
22 > #
23 > NISDOMAIN="bei.digitalprojects.com"
24 >
25 > alexander@blatt ~ $
26 >
27 > Why does "hostname -d" not return a domainname? I would have
28 > thought, that the "DNSDOMAIN" setting in combination with
29 > "OVERRIDE=1" would set a DNS domain.
30 >
31 > Why's that not so?
32 >
33 > The system gets configured using dhcp, using dhcpcd.
34
35 I seem to remember that this was somehow related to /etc/hosts, look:
36
37 # cat /etc/hosts
38 10.0.0.10 mybox mybox.my.domain
39
40 # hostname -d
41 #
42 # (modify /etc/hosts)
43 # cat /etc/hosts
44 10.0.0.10 mybox.my.domain mybox
45
46 # hostname -d
47 my.domain
48
49 Don't know whether dhcp changes all this.
50 --
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list