From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] mariadb confused about expire_logs_days
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2019 15:20:46
1 .
2
3 Hello everyone,
4
5 I upgraded to mariadb-10.2.22-r1 from mariadb-10.1.38-r1 about 3 weeks
6 ago. Just today I've discovered that the log files
7 (/var/lib/mysql/mariadb-bin.XXXXXX) have been accumulating since that
8 time. I have no use for all of these log files, so years ago I set
9 expire_logs_files = 1 in my.cnf to keep just the most recent one.
10 This has worked well until the upgrade. This upgrade also introduced
11 a new way of expressing the /etc/mysql/my.cnf file. It now follows
12 Gentoo practice of pointing to a directory (/etc/mysql/mariadb.d)
13 which contains multiple files that are concatenated to produce the
14 my.cnf file that is handed to mariadb. One of these files
15 (/etc/mysql/mariadb.d/logs) contains
16 [mysql]
17 expire_logs_days = 1
18
19 Clearly, this is being ignored, since I now have 3 weeks of
20 accumulated log files instead of just the latest one. When I
21 attempted to log into the mariadb server to examine the values of the
22 global variables, the login failed with the message
23
24 mysql: unknown variable 'expire_logs_days=1'
25
26 I then commented out the line "expire_logs_days = 1" in the
27 file /etc/mysql/mariadb.d/logs. This allowed me to log into the
28 mariadb server without the error message to issue the SHOW VARIABLES;
29 command, which revealed that expire_logs_days was set to the 0
30 default.
31
32 So clearly mariadb seems to think that expire_logs_days is still a
33 legitimate variable. It looks like something is interpreting the line
34 "expire_logs_days = 1" as just a variable name instead of name =
35 value.
36
37 Anybody else experience this? Any suggested solutions? I haven't
38 found anything on Google or bugs.gentoo.org.
39
40 John Blinka