From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot failure using root=LABEL=RAID1root but not LABEL=RAID6root
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 23:09:18
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Bruce Hill
4 > <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 02:09:35PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >> I don't know if you're right but it makes sense. If I need e2label to
8 > >> read labels from the CLI then I probably need all the same stuff in
9 > >> the initramfs which this one doesn't have.
10 > >>
11 > >> The problem I have with that idea is that all I put in the RAID6 which
12 > >> does have an initramfs is e2fsck, not e2label or anything else.
13 > >> However maybe e2fsck has that capability and that's why it's working?
14 > >>
15 > >> Good catch!
16 > >>
17 > >> Thanks, and best wishes for the new year and a safe New Year's eve to all.
18 > >>
19 > >> Cheers,
20 > >> Mark
21 > >
22 > > I've deleted your OP (sorry), but also, the kernel autodetects RAID using
23 > > metadata 0.90 superblocks, but not 1.2 superblock (seems your output had some
24 > > of each?).
25 > > --
26 >
27 > Hi Bruce,
28 > Yes, in the first and older Gentoo build I'm letting the kernel
29 > autodetect RAID1 to find /. That's the install that does NOT work
30 > mounting by label.
31 >
32 > In the second install I use an initramfs, / is on a RAID6 and is
33 > not autodetected. Rather I assemble the RAID6 within the initramfs
34 > using mdadm --assemble ####. The initramfs has both e2fsck & mdadm so
35 > it's able to assemble the RAID. It's also able to mount by label
36 > without any problems.
37 >
38 > Joost is suggesting that there might have been a thread earlier
39 > this year that said you must use an initramfs to mount by label, but I
40 > cannot find any grub documentation that supports that, and so far have
41 > not discovered the thread he's remembering.
42
43 I know you need at least proc to get the label, so maybe the init ramfs
44 will have /proc.
47 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
48 How do
49 you spend it?
50
51 John Covici