From: "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do I use 2.6.14 and remove udev and go back to devfs
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 08:31:17
1 (I think, without checking) devfs has been removed from 2.6.14 and
2 everything is supposed to be udev from now on.
3
4 A suggestion made out of frustration with 2.6.14 - use 2.6.13-r3 first.
5 Some kernel versions have had glitches with udev, and I know -r2 and -r3
6 are working for me on the i82k.
7
8 The reason is that 2.6.14 has made some rather large leaps that created
9 problems for me (so far all 3 machines, inc. desktops Ive tried have
10 headaches!)
11
12 First udev, install udev according to the gentoo guide and that should
13 work fine. Check the udev USE flag so and "emerge world --newuse" if
14 neccessary. Strongly reccomended: use the tarball method, not pure
15 udev! you have enough problems without trying to sort that out.
16
17 Once its working and reliable, make the step to 2.6.14-r2
18 Traps for 2.6.14 are:
19 dont select both the log and ulog targets together in the netfilter
20 modules or you wont have any logging (changes mean only a single target
21 can be selected at a time - of course in true unix fashion they dont
22 tell you that, or prevent you from doing it:(
23
24 Only wpa_supplicant version 0.4.5 seems to work
25
26 pcmcia stuff seems to have changed somewhat, and I changed to
27 pcmciautils which was probably not necessary looking back, but it works
28 nicely and pcmcia-cs is on the way out.
29
30 wireless (madwifi) is now working fine (still got to check no encryption
31 which I have not been able to get to work under 2.6.13) - I turned all
32 kernel wireless stuff off and use wpa_supplicant and madwifi
33
34 softwaresuspend2 rc9 works with 2.6.14 - r10 and r11 have bugs, the
35 earlier ones dont apply cleanly.
36
37 The cisco-vpnclient wont compile against 2.6.14 until you delete some
38 lines out of one of the files: there's patches/instructions on the
39 forums. Also, with the latest security bug in one of the protocols it
40 uses, an update will be along soon I'd say.
41
42 Ive had no problems with the 6629 series nvidia drivers, manually
43 patched for suspend2, but this was on a desktop (gforce4) as the i82k
44 uses a radeon card.
45
46 Had to use the ~x86 x11-drm to compile the radeon drm driver against
47 2.6.14
48
49 2.6.14 is looking like a major pita so far. I have another machine to
50 do tonight, but hopefully there wont be any new dramas.
51
52 BillK