From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: emailgrant@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} backups... still backups....
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 12:40:27
1 On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 01:11:35 -0700
2 Grant wrote:
3
4 > >> Can anyone think of an automated method that remotely and securely
5 > >> backs up data from one system to another, preserves permissions and
6 > >> ownership, and keeps the backups safe even if the backed-up system
7 > >> is compromised?
8 > >
9 > > app-backup/backuppc
10 > >
11 > > It uses hard links, but to save space, so all versions of all files
12 > > are kept for your entire history, but unchanged files are kept only
13 > > once, even if present on multiple targets.
14 >
15 > Thank you for the recommendation.
16 >
17 > How far would I have to open my systems in order for backuppc to
18 > function?
19 >
20 > Can the web server reside on a different system than the backup
21 > server?
22 >
23 > - Grant
24
25 I've been using backuppc since 2007 and am very happy with it.