From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linksys router BEFSR41 loosing internet
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 11:37:30
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Monday 20 December 2010 09:37:48 Dale wrote:
5 >> I set it up like this. The modem uses DHCP to get the IP from AT&T.
6 >> My local IP from the modem is 192.168.1.2. Then the router has the
7 >> IP 192.168.2.1 for my connection to the puter. The IP of my puter
8 >> is 192.168.2.5. The next puter will be 192.168.2.6 or something
9 >> different anyway.
10 >>
11 > The one thing you didn't mention there is the outer address of your
12 > router. It needs to be 192.168.1.x where x is anything other than 2. It
13 > needs to be on the same network segment as the inner side of your modem.
17 Yep, front end is 192.168.1.4 or 5 I think. Something close to that.
18 The last number may be different. It may be .2 or something.
19
20 >> I need to read up on the netmask thing some more. It's still murky
21 >> for sure.
22 >>
23 > (What follows has grown rather long. I hope it doesn't come over too
24 > much as a lecture.)
25 >
26 > It's fairly straightforward once you get the hang of it. The address of
27 > a device is a 64-bit number, expressed as four 16-bit numbers joined
28 > with dots. It's just easier to read when split into chunks, but it is
29 > really a 64-bit number. As in decimal arithmetic, the right-hand digit
30 > is the least significant.
31 >
32 > An interface address consists of two parts: the leftmost part defines a
33 > group of addresses (the network part) and the rightmost part specifies
34 > the number of the interface in that group (the host part). The function
35 > of the network mask is to specify where the boundary is between the
36 > network part and the host part.
37 >
38 > Two conventions are used for expressing where that boundary is: the
39 > older method is to write, say, 255.255.255.0, which indicates that the
40 > first 24 bits (three eight-bit numbers - 255 is all-ones in eight bits)
41 > belong to the network and anything to the right of those can be
42 > allocated to interfaces in that network. That convention dates from the
43 > era of plenty of IP addresses in the world and goes along with Class A,
44 > B, C or D. A class A network has a mask of 255.0.0.0, class B has
45 > 255.255.0.0, class C has 255.255.255.0 and a class D (never used in the
46 > wild as far as I know) would have 255.255.255.255.
47 >
48 > Since the meteoric growth of the Internet this class scheme has become a
49 > handicap, and a finer division of network scope has become necessary, to
50 > allow use of, say, 255.255.255.248 as a net mask. Rather than specifying
51 > a plethora of new classes (we'd need anything up to 60), a shorthand
52 > notation has been invented in which we just append a number to an
53 > address to specify the number of bits that identify the network, with
54 > the rest identifying the host on it (strictly speaking, a host's
55 > interface on the network, as a host may have more than one interface -
56 > sometimes even on the same network). This scheme is known as CIDR
57 > notation. Thus your modem's inner address is, I assume, 192.168.1.2/24,
58 > which is the same as writing 192.168.1.2 with a mask of 255.255.255.0.
59 >
60 > That mask 255.255.255.248 I mentioned specifies 29 bits for the network
61 > address and three for the hosts on it; that's enough for six computers
62 > once the ..0 and ..7 addresses are reserved for network address and
63 > broadcast address. A lot of ISPs use such a scheme for allocating
64 > address ranges to their customers.
67 >> How's it look? Think it will work for a while?
68 >>
69 > Once you've set your router's outer address correctly, yes.
70 >
71 > Sorry I was asleep overnight and had to leave you to the tender mercies
72 > of your compatriots. :-)
73 >
74 > Again, apologies if I've seemed to want to teach my grandmother to suck
75 > eggs.
79 Taking a nap is fine. I do that sometimes myself. If worse came to
80 worse, I could set my puter to DHCP and hooked straight to the modem.
81 That always works.
82
83 I seem to have the stuff set up correctly now. I may try to hook up the
84 second rig at least for testing anyway. I should have set the IP and
85 set it to start ssh before the last shutdown. I didn't tho. Oh well.
86
87 I'm starting to grasp the netmask thingy. It just has to soak in a
88 little bit. lol
89
90 Thanks for the help.
91