From: Jarry <jarry@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sendmail virtusertable
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:52:44
1 Hiren Dave wrote:
2
3 > Yes, I have MX record. This is a virtuserable concept.
4 > admin@××××.com root@××××××××××××.com
5 > @yahoo.com root@××××××××××××.com
6 > entry in there and that means mails that are sent to admin and yahoo.com
7 > should go to root. Am I right?
8
9 I do not think so. At least I do not believe you own yahoo.com domain,
10 it means you can not set up your server1.guru.com as mailserver for
11 yahoo.com domain and redirect all yahoo.com mail to your server.
12
13 Please, understand, that virtsertable concept is a way of hosting
14 multiple mail-domains, but you need full control of that domains.
15 Or do you really believe that if you have:
16
17 @yahoo.com root@××××××××××××.com
18
19 it means you can "steal" all mail sent to all yahoo.com accounts?
20 No offense, but you do not mean it seriously, do you? :-)
21
22 You can only *redirect* your mail in yahoo.com, but only on your
23 own accounts, and only if yahoo.com supports it. Or you can collect
24 your mail from yahoo.com through pop3/imap protocols at regular
25 intervals (again, only if yahoo.com supports it).
26
27 virtusertable covers local delivering, but *not sending*.
28 When your MTA (sendmail) gets a mail message for anything@×××××.com,
29 it asks nameserver authorised for yahoo.com for corresponding
30 mail-server for deliveries, and *no matter* what you have in
31 virtusertable. But as I said, very probably you do not own yahoo.com
32 domain, so you can not define your server as mailserver for yahoo.com.
33
34 But, this all is possible to do for your own domain, guru.com,
35 if you really have full control of it. I think maybe it's the right
36 time to read something more about sendmail and bind, or some RFC
37 about how email works...
38
39 Jarry
40 --