From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : mouse trouble : solved by accident
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 11:23:31
1 On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 12:24 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 10:06:01PM -0400, Philip Webb wrote
4 >
5 > > The effect is quite bizarre & it was the gods who saved me :
6 > > if I hadn't happened to plug the mouse into the neighbouring port,
7 > > I could have spent days struggling to find out what was wrong
8 > > & even taken the mobo back to the store as defective.
9 > >
10 > > Both Mageia -- installed from USB stick in a partition on the
11 > > HDD -- & System Rescue show /dev/input/mouse0 after booting ;
12 > > in the case of SR it does it before I enter the GUI via 'wizard'.
13 > > They have no problem with the 2.0/1.1 port, but the Gentoo system as
14 > > I've installed it don't show /dev/input/mouse0 from that port, but
15 > > only if I plug the mouse into the 3.0/2.0 port. Someone suggested
16 > > it is caused by a Kernel .config setting, which if enabled seems to
17 > > force the system to look in the 3.0 port. Why it should do that
18 > > doesn't make much sense : such upgrades are usually permissive,
19 > > not restrictive. BTW there's no difference between 3.4.9 & 3.5.3 .
20 >
21 > Is the cpu AMD? Intel machines require UHCI (USB 1.1) and AMD
22 > machines require OHCI (USB 1.0) for lowspeed USB devices like keyboards
23 > and mice. There's a root hub translator selection in .config that's
24 > *SUPPOSED* to work with keyboards+mice, using only the EHCI kernel
25 > driver, but I never could get it to work.
28 UHCI vs OHCI has nothing to do with the CPU, but with the chipset on the
29 system. I haven't seen an OHCI-supporting chip in over a decade, either,
30 and most of my systems have been AMD.
31
32 Either way, there's no harm in enabling both.
35 :wq