From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The end of "Herds"
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 00:13:51
1 On 11/04/2014 03:13 PM, James wrote:
2 > Hello,
5 > If you follog gentoo-dev you can see Rich's summary
6 > interpretation (which I do agree with) posted at the
7 > bottom of this thread.
10 > Recently I was asked to help clean up some of the Java
11 > bugs. OK, as a non-maintainer I agreed. I went through
12 > over 100 java bugs, mostly pre 2010, as to make a dent
13 > in the backlog of ~500 java bugs that would probably
14 > be the easiest to clean up. Sure enough, there were
15 > only a few that were still relevant (Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm)
18 > So I proposed, to one of the Java Herd members we blast out
19 > a few emails notifying everyone that if folks did not
20 > "reaffrim" these (very old) java bugs, they would be mass-closed.
21 > If you look at those (old bugs) most would agree with my
22 > assessment. However, I listed a few as blatant examples
23 > that needed to be closed. It seems there is no "closer" for
24 > java bugs. Nobody around with the authority (will?) to close
25 > any old Java bugs. The herd is descimated, on furlog or just
26 > burnt out and non-responsive. So all of my work and
27 > effort was for nothing. Over the years, I have made
28 > at least 3 attemps to use java on gentoo; all resulted in
29 > using other linix distros. For me, java is a reality
30 > that cannot be wished away. What I have learn in the last few
31 > months is that Java on Gentoo is alive and properous; folks with
32 > Java ebuilds just do not bother with getting them into Gentoo
33 > because of the morass of apathy the gentoo java hers has become.
34 >
35 > So now is the time for folks to read and post to gentoo-dev on
36 > thread: :" Deprecating and killing the concept of herds" if
37 > you have any issues with herds being removed from Gentoo.
38 > Ideas on how to best organize bug_cleaning is also welcome.
39 > I think there will be an uptake in proxy-maintainers, if the
40 > gentoo-dev club is sincere about treating these proxy maintainers
41 > with respect and mutual professionalism.
42 >
43 > I think the concept of "Projects" will persist, but herds have
44 > to become active and request to become "Projects" as defined
45 > on the gentoo wiki or they will be erased. Like many others,
46 > I have been burned in the past with trying to get directly involved
47 > with Gentoo (been here since 2004). That's all water under the bridge.
48 > So I am "tip_toeing" behind the scenes willing to be a grunt
49 > and clean up some of the java mess, participate in clustering and
50 > contribute to the science project. We'll see just how long it lasts
51 > before I get "bitch_slapped" like my previous attempts........
54 > That's why I named by current /usr/local/portage "jackslap".
55 > We shall see what happens.
58 > I see the enabling of user patches directly into ebuilds in the tree
59 > (EAPI 6) and the cleansing of the irresponsible amongst the herds
60 > with exclusive control over bugs as a very positive sign that the gentoo
61 > dev community is one again dedicated to making Gentoo an excellent platform.
62 > Whatever your experiences have been, I hope you read, post
63 > and give direct participation in Gentoo your deepest consideration.
66 > James
69 > <snip>
70 > My (rich) proposal:
71 >
72 > For the steady state:
73 >
74 > 1. For the maintainer tag in metadata, have a type attribute that can
75 > be developer, project, or proxy.
76 >
77 > 2. Add a contacts tag in metadata that takes an email.
78 >
79 > 3. Package without maintainers (individuals or projects - regardless
80 > of presence of aliases) get assigned to maintainer-needed and get
81 > treecleaned as usual.
82 >
83 > I'm also fine with normalizing this and just switching to a contact
84 > tag that can have a type of developer, project, proxy, or contact.
85 > That is a bigger change. However, it would probably simplify
86 > scripting and be a bit cleaner for the long-term.
89 > For the transition to the steady state:
90 >
91 > a. We generate a list of all current herds and email their aliases to
92 > see if they want to be converted to a non-maintainer alias, or be
93 > disbanded entirely. One reply to the email is enough to keep the
94 > alias around, no replies means retirement.
95 >
96 > b. Anybody in Gentoo can start a project already by following GLEP 39.
97 > It is encouraged for these projects to take over existing aliases
98 > where they feel it is appropriate. There is no need for all aliases
99 > to have a project - just ones that want some kind of structure (ie
100 > this is strictly voluntary). When this is done the project will
101 > remove the herd from metadata and add the project alias as a
102 > maintainer with the agreed-upon tagging.
103 >
104 > c. We generate a list of all current packages that do not have a
105 > maintainer (either one or more individuals or projects (NOT herds)).
106 > That gets posted so that individuals can claim them. I suggest not
107 > doing the usual treecleaning email since there could be a LOT of them.
108 > Or we could do it herd-by-herd over time to ease the load.
109 >
110 > d. We remove all herds from the existing packages. Where aliases were
111 > kept in (a) above they are converted to aliases with appropriate
112 > tagging. If no maintainer exists the package is handled per the
113 > result of (c).
116 > Comments, alternatives, etc?
123 There is a large discussion on the Spark mailing list right now about
124 having groups of maintainers for different areas:
125
126 http://apache-spark-developers-list.1001551.n3.nabble.com/VOTE-Designating-maintainers-for-some-Spark-components-td9115.html
127
128 I'm not sure how relevant that is, but it's interesting.
129
130 My own viewpoint is that there should be no individual maintainers;
131 packages should be assigned on a herd level, and the herds can
132 self-regulate and know who has expertise with each package. Just my two
133 cents; best to not have a single point of failure.
134
135 Alec