From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sysloggers
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:35:25
1 Mark Shields wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Alan McKinnon
3 > <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com <mailto:alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>> wrote:
4 >
5 > Hi,
6 >
7 > Does anyone have decent experience with sysloggers other than
8 > syslog-ng, and
9 > be willing to share experiences?
10 >
11 > I'm especially interested in some of the advanced features of
12 > syslog-ng
13 > Premium from Balabit.com (based on and extending their open source
14 > version):
15 >
16 > SSL-encrypted traffic over the network
17 > Disk-based buffering on the client
18 > Windows agents
19 > Timezone aware (which syslog doesn't do and syslog-ng only partially)
20 > Encrypted disk files
21 > Filter, parse and rewrite incoming logs (vital if you need the
22 > auth log over
23 > here and the password field stored over there, without jumping
24 > through hoops
25 > first)
26 > High scalability - 2000 Cisco devices and 200+ servers to start,
27 > distributed
28 > country wide
29 >
30 > --
31 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
34 > syslog-ng is the de facto standard. Metalog is fine for desktops, but
35 > I use syslog-ng on all my servers. Nearly all programs that can
36 > process log files are compatible with it.
37 >
38 > --
39 > - Mark Shields
40
41 Same here. I do wish it would fill my log full of dups tho. Sometimes
42 my DVD thinks there is media in there and it is trying to read it when
43 it is empty. Since it does this every two seconds, it can create a HUGE
44 messages file in a hurry. logrotate helps with this but still, no need
45 doing the same line hundreds of thousands of times.
46
47 Dale
48
50
51 P. S. Now some guru tell me that it can be told not to do that. :/