From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Any way to get real text console without killing X capability?
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 02:04:44
1 On 02/05/2011 03:43 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > the latest builds
4 > of "screen" are in a git repository, which I'm not familiar with.
5
6 (I'm not the same Walter, as you know already :)
7
8 I urge everyone to get to know git.
9
10 I admit, I could be prejudiced in git's favor just because it was the
11 first vcs I learned after cvs, but git is going to gain market share
12 just because Linus is who he is.
13
14 I've now used svn (barf!), bzr (to track grub2), mercurial (to track
15 thunderbird and firefox), and the ancient cvs (which is jumping head
16 first into its grave).
17
18 I omitted bitkeeper from the list because it's a closed-source product,
19 but Linus has given credit to bitkeeper's creator for inspiring him to
20 write git in the first place. (I barely remember using bitkeeper.)
21
22 Maybe I just think like Linus, I dunno, but for me git "just works",
23 unlike its competitors -- svn in particular, which has earned a very
24 special place in my personal software hell.