From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I turn off xterm console restore?
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 15:04:56
1 On Saturday 22 January 2011 05:45:27 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > As soon as some textmode applications in xterm stop, their output gets
3 > wiped, and the xterm screen is restored to what it looked like before I
4 > launched the app. Somebody thought they were being "helpful"; then
5 > again, so did the designers of "Clippy". I don't know how many updates
6 > ago the behaviour changed, but here's what happens...
7
8 Hmm ... as far as I can recall with xterm/aterm this behaviour for some
9 commands is the expected/default behaviour. I've looked into it for things
10 like top et al when launched like so on the desktop from e.g. fluxbox's menu:
11
12 aterm +sb -e top -d 2
13
14 Pressing q to quit top closes the aterm. Completely. :-(
15
16 I have not found a solution for it.
17
18 With xterm I would use the -hold option to stop xterm from collapsing like so:
19
20 xterm -geometry 144x30 -bg black -fg green -hold -e 'ps auxf'
21
22 Thereafter I use the window decoration to close xterm, because no other
23 keyboard inputs are accepted by it.
26 > Let's say I'm having a problem with packet loss to/from a certain
27 > internet server. I would run "mtr" which gives an ongoing enhanced
28 > traceroute display. When it gets to the router that's dropping packets
29 > I would hit "Q" and mtr quits.
30
31 That's how it always worked here.
34 > Before the update
35 > =================
36 > I would copy/paste the mtr output into an email, and send it off to
37 > whomever, with the output showing the packet-loss stats.
38
39 Are you sure you were not previously using the -r option to report the output
40 on the screen and now you don't?
43 > After the update
44 > ================
45 > As soon as mtr quits, its output gets wiped, and the xterm screen is
46 > restored to the state it was in before mtr was launched... helpful NOT!
47
48 try this:
49
50 mtr -c 3 -r 123.456.78.90
51
52 > I've discovered that I can suspend it with {CTRL-S}, but I shouldn't
53 > have to resort to that. Using Google, I found references to
54 > "man termcap", which stated that this behaviour was controlled by
55 > entries in /etc/termcap. Despite the fact that I have the termcap man
56 > page on my system, I do *NOT* have /etc/termcap. Does anyone have a
57 > sample /etc/termcap (or will ~/.termcap work?) to stop the screen
58 > restore after a text application quits?
59
60 I don't have /etc/termcap here ... and wouldn't know how to use it to be
61 honest.
62 --
63 Regards,
64 Mick