From: "Nelson
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] OT - Some miscellanous questions about hack attacks and dealing with them
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 18:06:36
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Alan McKinnon [mailto:alan@××××××××××××××××.za]
3 > Sent: 22 February 2007 17:33
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Some miscellanous questions about hack
6 > attacks and dealing with them
7 >
8 > By far the most common attack vector is weak user names and passwords
9 > accessed via ssh. Solution is a sensbile password policy, or
10 > allow ssh
11 > access only via keys.
14 I agree. Until I have the time and effort to set up key based authentication I have disabled root logon via SSH and set all users passwords to 10 to 15 random character passwords.
15
16 Check /var/log/secure.log on any webserver. On both of mine I see lots (and I mean thousands) of attacks where people try common user names and weak passwords (apache, awstats, mysql, admin, etc and common forenames... )
17
18 Running SSH on a port other than 22 is possible and potentially more secure.
21 djn
22
23 I do not represent anyone else in emails I send to this list.
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list