From: "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: default stage3 (was : [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 02:26:47
1 Some thoughts:
2
3 I recently did a stage 1 install and found that the process seems to
4 have deteriorated to the point it was more work than it should have been
5 - hence I see some of the reasons for abandoning it. In particular, the
6 recompiling needed to bring it to a GCC 3.4.4 with all the options I
7 needed meant that a stage 1 gained me nothing, and I lost quite a bit of
8 time.
9
10 The majority of systems I have recently installed have been tar over ssh
11 from a running system (usually a LiveCD - I have P3/P4 and athlon - just
12 choose the appropriate base). A small install can be up and running in
13 less than 30 mins (IF you already have a running system!) - and its
14 mostly preconfigured which is where I find I spend most of *MY* time.
15 Only downside I have come across is cruft, but that can be managed.
16
17 I consider this as the equivalent of a targeted (for my purposes)
18 customised super stage3 install.
19
20 With todays large hard disks, I also put aside a 4G reiserfs partition
21 that contains a minimal install (inc a tailess /boot) to keep me working
22 (i.e., the gateway has a basic webserver, squid, nat setup, mail
23 server, ..., the desktop has fluxbox, OO and evolution - my main work
24 tools and so on. Maintenance is done in a chroot, with an occasional
25 test when scheduled with major kernel upgrades. If in fiddling, I have
26 a disaster, I can keep working while rebuilding. If more than one
27 physical HD is present, grub is installed in each MBR - many modern MB's
28 allow you to choose which HD to boot from - quite handy! Worst comes to
29 worst, a few minutes with tar and I have a basic, but fully configured
30 base to start the recovery process back to the original system.
31
32 I have found the 4G partition very handy when the raid array broke (disk
33 failure - the 4G was in an unaffected area of the disk - non-raided, so
34 was easily rescued), software problems (bad kernel upgrades) and just
35 having the peace of mind that I can keep working through most disasters.
36 I would highly recommend that this be a standard part of the install for
37 critical systems (e.g., SOHO gateways), and especially for those who
38 have only a single system to work with.
39
40 With a little planning, it is possible to have an install once, and
41 multiply/upgrade forever maintenance process - this is one of gentoo's
42 current strengths.
43
44 BillK
45