From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: 'emerge -e world' question
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 00:35:58
1 In <496D29D6.7030004@×××××.com>,
2 "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Paul Hartman ha scritto:
5 > > On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Paul Hartman
6 > > <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >> Hi,
8 > >>
9 > >> I normally do "emerge -uDvN @world" (or in other words "emerge
10 > >> --update --deep --verbose --newuse @world"). Right now, it tells me
11 > >> this:
12 > >>
13 > >> Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB
14 > >>
15 > >> I also --depclean on a regular basis to remove any unneeded
16 > >> packages. Right now, it tells me this:
17 > >>
18 > >> No packages selected for removal by depclean
19 > >>
20 > >> Based on those two commands, I'm led to believe I have a fully
21 > >> updated system. So, then, I am curious why when I do "emerge -e
22 > >> @world" it tells me this:
23 > >>
24 > >> Total: 1432 packages (9 upgrades, 2 downgrades, 14 new, 1407
25 > >> reinstalls, 1 interactive), Size of downloads: 76,235 kB
26 > >>
27 > >> How is that possible? Where do those upgrades, downgrades and new
28 > >> packages come from? What is missing from my traditional "-uDvN"
29 > >> command that is causing me to miss some of those updates?
30 > >
31 > > Before anyone responds I will throw in my theory :)
32 > >
33 > > I'm using ~amd64 and I suppose perhaps the ebuilds have changed
34 > > since I installed them, but have not had a version increase.
35 >
36 > It's 4 years I'm using Gentoo and I can still be surprised by it. :)
37 > This doesn't look right. Why do devs upgrade ebuilds and do not
38 > increase the -rX versioning?
39
40 The policy is that they should increment the revision if the ebuild has
41 changed enough that users of the package would want to recompile.
42 There are some example cases mentioned in the policy, but largely it's
43 a judgment call on the part of the maintainer.
44
45 <http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=3&chap=1#doc_chap3_sect2>.
48 »Q«
49 Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.