From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Process to resize ext3 file system at the command line?
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 17:03:18
1 Hi,
2 I've got a 3-disk 250GB RAID-1 that I use for short term, on the
3 machine backups. It's normally not mounted unless I'm doing a quick
4 save. Unfortunately it's a bit too small these days so I'm therefore
5 going to convert it to a 3-disk RAID-5 which will double it's size.
6
7 I'm pretty sure I've got the command set right to do the RAID-1 to
8 RAID-5 conversion, but once it's done I believe the file system itself
9 will still be 250GB so I'll need to resize the file system. In the
10 past I've done this with gparted, which seems to work fine, but this
11 time I was considering doing it at the command line. Does anyone know
12 of a good web site that goes through how to do that? I've browsed
13 around and found different pages that talk about it but my reading
14 looks like they all have minor differences which leaves me a bit
15 worried.
16
17 Note that the status of the backup is currently good but if I
18 happen to lose the data on that partition it won't likely be a big
19 problem. I'm just trying to get to the end of the process without
20 losing it if possible.
21
22 Thanks,
23 Mark