From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] myhostname and mydomain in /etc/postfix/main.cf on a vhost
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 00:08:30
1 Noack, Sebastian wrote:
2
3 > Couldn't I also omit the hostname or origin instead of it? And if not,
4 > what would you propose as hostname? Something like "nohost" or does it
5 > have to be a real hostname, which is mapped to my ip address or maybe my
6 > ip address itself?
7
8 I used vmail.domain.com on my last build. The point being that
9 domain.com is virtual and if you use it as $myorigin Postfix will assume
10 it's local and your transport table for that domain will not work, IIRC.
11
12 Ideally yes forward and reverse DNS would match. At worst forward DNS
13 should actually point to this box.
16 > Well, because of I'm not a mailhoster and need just a mailserver for the
17 > web sites I administer completely by my own, it wouldn't be a problem to
18 > administer the mail stuff directly in the database, but however
19 > PostfixAdmin seems to be nice. But I think I can also set it up later,
20 > after I followed the official Gentoo Virtual Mailhosting System with
21 > Postfix Guide. Btw: Your howto mentions PostfixAdmin, but also doesn't
22 > explains how to set it up. But however I will still read it,
23 > nevertheless.
24
25 It's not really something you can add on later as PostfixAdmin uses a
26 different schema in order to support all the things it does. I did a
27 transition of 400 users by hand from the old installation to the new,
28 but it sucked.
29
30 Setting PostfixAdmin itself is a matter of following included how-to and
31 then use my Gentoo specific stuff to config everything it relies on.
32
33 If you're dead set on following the Gentoo one, this will be helpful.
34
35 Top 10 things you'll do wrong (and some extras for free) in the Gentoo
36 How-to
37
38 1. The Gentoo how-to does not read the virtual domains from mysql by
39 default. You need a line like this virtual_mailbox_domains =
40 proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf substituting the
41 Gentoo stuff or you have to add them manually to virtual_comin_maps and
42 restart Postfix. This is the first trade off made for Mailman.
43 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-224882-highlight-kashani+virtual.html
44
45 2. Courier-imap will throw a very unhelpful error message if the
46 .maildir does not exist. Always send new users a welcome mail to create
47 their maildir. PostfixAdmin does this by default.
48
49 3. When you using wildcard aliases you must create an alias for for each
50 real mailbox or it'll match the wildcard and exit before it checks the
51 real mailbox table. PostfixAdmin can be configured to add aliases for
52 all mailbox users in by default.
53 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-131618-highlight-kashani+aliases.html
54
55 4. Users must use their full email address as the username. For both
56 POP, SMTP-auth, and webmail. You'll repeat this a lot no matter which
57 system you use.
58 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-346173-highlight-kashani+virtual.html
59
60 5. When using multiple webmail client front ends like Horde, Squirrel,
61 and Roundcube remember to force them to use the same folder name for
62 Trash, Sent, etc. in case users switch around.
63
64 6. We covered the origin thing
65 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-445361-highlight-kashani+virtual.html
66
67 7. The alias table is for local system aliases, not virtual aliases
68 which go in virtual.
69 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-477820-highlight-kashani+virtual.html
70
71 8. /home/vmail/virt-bar.org/foo/.maildir/ <--- don't forget the
72 trailing slash or Postfix will write to .maildir the file and not
73 .maildir/ the dir.
74 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-74995-highlight-kashani+maildir+virtual.html
75
76 9. Postfix needs permission to create the .maildir/ so make sure that
77 you've created home dir with the right uid/gid
78 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-446763-highlight-kashani+virtual.html
79
80 10. Remove the -v from master.cf and change 450 bounce code back to 550
81 once it's working. Adding proxy: to your mysql statements in Postfix
82 also helps.
83 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-124564-highlight-kashani+aliases.html
84
85 11. The Gentoo how-to is still using Postfix 2.0 Mysql syntax. This is
86 going to break someday though it is rumored to still work with 2.2. 2.3
87 might be a different story.
88 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-392458-highlight-kashani+virtual.html
89
90 12. Squirrel and Horde can be configured with plugins to allow users to
91 change their passwords. This will make you life easier. PostfixAdmin has
92 this and additionally allows users to add forwards and vacations.
93
94 kashani
95 --
96 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list