From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Still can't play audio CD's
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 02:59:41
1 Steve Dommett wrote:
2 > Colleen Beamer wrote:
3 >> If anyone can provide me with direction, I would sure appreciate it.
4 >>
5 > Sorry I can't help you with your ALSA config. I've been stuck for
6 > months now trying to enable SPDIF-out on my own laptop. However:
7 > I notice from your first post on this topic that you're trying to play
8 > audio CDs with kscd. You've already stated that music already ripped
9 > from CD plays just fine.
10 > Have you tried enabling Configure kscd -> CD Player -> CD-ROM Device:
11 > Use direct digital playback ?
12 > This option tells kscd to rip the CD on-the-fly and playback using the
13 > standard PCM output on the sound card, rather than relying on the CD
14 > audio lead and mixer settings which seem to be causing you so much
15 > trouble.
16
17 Got all excited here, 'cause I hadn't done as you suggested and thought
18 that it might solve the problem. However, when I selected direct
19 digital playback, the CD appears to be playing - i.e. the "Play" button
20 changes to "Pause", but the timer that advances as the track plays
21 remains at 0:00 and I still get no sound. With 'direct digital
22 playback' *not* selected, I get no sound, but the timer advances as the
23 track plays.
24
25 Regards,
26