From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "Headless question": Harvesting the results...software needed.
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 18:32:11
1 thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net> [14-09-30 20:24]:
2 > On 30/09/14 15:05, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > with lot of help of this forum (***TAHNKS!***) I now
6 > > have a embedded device which is able to
7 > > dis/connect itsself from/to the LAN, set the clock via ntp-client
8 > > and is able to fire up a tool, which collects
9 > > data from sensors and put those into
10 > > a file ... even if the tool has no
11 > > connection to a terminal.
12 > >
13 > > Next step will be to connect a GPS module
14 > > (ordered) to the GPIO pins of that board
15 > > (which is quite offtopic and I fear therefore
16 > > my sole problem... ;).
17 > >
18 > > Suppose the GPS would already be attached
19 > > to the board and works...
20 > >
21 > > Is there any free available software and data for
22 > > strict offline useage (which does NOT calls
23 > > to home), which is able to map GPS data to a street/land
24 > > map?
25 > > I need both: The maps themselves and the logic to read
26 > > GPS coordinates and map movements and ways to those maps.
27 > >
28 > > Is something like that available for free or should
29 > > I directly ask the NSA/CIA/FBI/...?
30 > >
31 > > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
32 > > Best regards,
33 > > mcc
38 > you can also have a look at something like www.openpaths.cc they have an
39 > api you can plug into but you need to post your gps data to them
40 > doesn't quite fit the offline part but to start it takes a lot of the
41 > heavy lifting for you
42 > alternatively you could save your gps co-ordinates to an xml file and
43 > send that via email, which you can then push up to google maps
44 > again, doesn't quite fit the offline part, but i'm not sure how you
45 > would visually see your map if it's headless unless if it's on another
46 > computer
49 Hi,
50
51 the offline part is important to me. In times where knowledge slowly
52 and surely becomes a criminal act if created just "by interest" I am
53 not willing to send any data (like GPS data) to google or others like
54 them.
55
56 "headless" vs. "see the map":
57 Sorry, the explanation may be missing in my mails.
58 The headless device is only used as "GPS recorder", which only stores
59 the GOS data given by GPS module.
60 The visualization is done lateron on my PC...
61 The headless device (Beaglebone black) "only" has 512MB RAM and 16GB
62 SDcard flash...
63 And the CPU is not made for heavy mathematics...
64
65 Best regards,
66 mcc