From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] alsamixer and pulseaudio - which is at fault?
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 13:21:40
1 Hi All,
2
3 My sound has been behaving erratically for a while now, probably since
4 pulseaudio started being shipped with various desktop applications. This is
5 what I am talking about:
6
7 Sound level undesirable
8 ==============
9 Kmail pops up a warning and the sound level is 100%. The first time. On the
10 second warning when it happens a couple of seconds later, the sound level is
11 back down to normal levels, say 55%. Without me interfering with any audio
12 settings.
13
14 Some time later another warning pops up and this time the sound may be normal,
15 a second warning a couple of seconds later may be back to 100%. It appears to
16 me as if sound levels generated by dekstop/application warnings are adjusted
17 dynamically on the fly and at will, but not my will ...
18
19 Non-KDE applications, e.g. Pidgin bleep at top volume when IMs are
20 sent/received. Adjusting their volume thankfully sticks, at least for the
21 desktop session in question.
24 Alsamixer
25 ======
26 Running alsamixer shows:
27
28 Card: PulseAudio
29 Chip: PulseAudio
30
31 with a single Master bar for adjusting the volume. Selecting F6 shows Sound
32 Card set to (default), with 'HDA Intel MID' and 'HDA ATI HDMI' below it. When
33 I select 0 for 'HDA Intel MID' I get all my familiar alsamixer settings back
34 including Master, Headphones, Speaker, PCM, Mic, etc.
35
36 Adjusting these allow me to arrive at sane volume levels as used to be the
37 case in the past. However, the annoying thing is these settings do not stick
38 between reboots.
41 On another laptop with a different audio card, things are even stranger. The
42 card pops/crackles at boot time, but all sound is dead unless and until I run
43 alsactl init. Then if the sound gets quite loud, e.g. the other side of a
44 Skype call raises their voice above a certain level, all sound is lost until I
45 run alsactl init again. This is becoming tedious to say the least.
48 Have you noticed anything similar to either of the above problems ? What may
49 be causing these problems and are there any fixes/workarounds? I honestly
50 can't recall sound ever being such a pain on my systems.
53 Regards,
54 Mick