From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Managing multiple systems with identical hardware
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 23:54:11
1 I'm about to embark on this (perilous?) journey and I'm wondering if
2 anyone would make a comment on any of the questions in the last
3 paragraph below. This is basically my plan for setting up a bunch of
4 systems (laptops) in an office which are hardware-identical to my own
5 laptop and creating a framework to manage them all with a bare minimum
6 of time and effort.
7
8 Thanks,
9 Grant
12 >>>>>> I see what you desire now - essentially you want to clone your laptop
13 >>>>>> (or big chunks of it) over to your other workstations.
14 >
15 > I've been working on this and I think I have a good and simple plan.
16 >
17 > My laptop roams around with me and is the "master" system. The office
18 > router is the "submaster" system. All of the other office systems are
19 > "minion" systems. All of the systems are 100% hardware-identical
20 > laptops. All of the minions are 100% software-identical.
21 >
22 > I install every package that any system needs on the master and create
23 > an SSH keypair. The only config files that change from their state on
24 > the master are: /etc/conf.d/hostname, /etc/conf.d/net,
25 > /etc/ssh/sshd_config, /etc/shorewall/*. I write comments in those
26 > files which serve as flags for scripted changes.
27 >
28 > I write a script that is run from the master to the submaster, or from
29 > the submaster to a minion. If it's the former, rsync / is run with
30 > exceptions (/usr/portage, /usr/local/portage, /var/log, /tmp, /home,
31 > /root but /root/.ssh/id_rsa_script* is included), my personal user is
32 > removed, a series of workstation users are created with useradd -m,
33 > services are added or removed from /etc/runlevels/default, and config
34 > files are changed according to comment flags. If it's the latter,
35 > rsync / is run without exceptions, services are added or removed from
36 > /etc/runlevels/default, and config files are changed according to
37 > comment flags.
38 >
39 > All user info on the submaster and minions would be effectively reset
40 > whenever the script is run and that's fine. Root logins would have to
41 > be allowed on the submaster and minions but only with the SSH key.
42 > There are probably more paths to exclude when rsyncing master to
43 > submaster.
44 >
45 > That's it. No matter how numerous the minions become, this should
46 > allow me to keep everything running by administrating only my own
47 > system, pushing that to the submaster, and having the submaster push
48 > to the minions. I've been going over the nitty-gritty and everything
49 > looks good.
50 >
51 > What do you think? Is there anything inherently wrong with rsyncing /
52 > onto a running system? If there are little or no changes to make,
53 > about how much data would actually be transferred? Is there a better
54 > tool for this than rsync? I know Funtoo uses git for syncing with
55 > their portage tree.
56 >
57 > - Grant